Buying A Business That Makes You Rich; Toss Your Job Not The Dice
Here are some of the benefits you’ll get from our services:
- To see businesses not “on the market (yet)” and to see enough prospective sellers so you have a real choice. We do this by implementing an intensive search of the public and hidden market.
- Not waste time on unqualified candidates (we’ll quick-screen them).
- Give you complete knowledge before doing a deal by performing in-depth analysis and due diligence so there are no errors of omission.
- Formulate win-win offers that address the seller’s hot buttons and concerns. A deal will come together faster and stay together.
- Conduct positive negotiations leading to a friendly takeover, satisfied employees and management who want to stay and contribute.
- Construct a deal structure that will minimize your cash outflow, minimize taxes for seller and create a smooth transition.
- We find more businesses for our clients than they could ever find on their own. Searching doesn’t interrupt our day-to-day activities, as it is our day-to-day activity.
- Our experience aides in structuring win-win deals and allows our client’s to close deals at a rate over 10 times the national average (of all business buyers).
- Our insight lets us quickly analyze and adjust financial reports, so you screen losers out fast.
- We can use our appraisal skills to persuade the seller to accept a fair price and terms.
- We know the questions to ask, and how to ask them, so you can quickly evaluate the non-financial factors that are critical to valuing a company.
- Negotiations proceed calmly and smoothly because of our understanding of the dynamics of the buy/sell process. This permits our clients to get good deals done faster than otherwise.
The steps in the process are:
Preparation: It’s important for a buyer to define their criteria. Not only will this save time, aggravation and money but also will make a more favorable impression on intermediaries.
Locate: Our comprehensive search system uncovers businesses not on the public market and puts our clients on the inside track with brokers and other intermediaries.
Screen: While it may seem simple, buyers often overlook a quick screening process. This causes them to waste time on companies they won’t buy no matter what the circumstances. Our clients repeatedly tell us how they appreciate our insightful questions that get them to move away from losers and companies where their skills do not match what is needed.
Analyze: Prior to detailed due diligence we analyze the financials, lease and other readily available information. This “stepped” process keeps our clients active and in front of the seller without being burdensome.
Valuation: A credible, third party valuation makes negotiations much easier. We know what goes into a valuation and all the risk factors that influence it.
Deal Structure: The three components are price, terms and conditions. Both buyer and seller have their hot buttons and allowing both to walk away happy is a win-win deal.
Negotiations: When we wear the “black hat” our clients stay friendly with the seller, making the transition smooth and successful.
Due Diligence: Detailed questions about the company’s non-financial side including customers, supplier relations, marketing, employees, lease, competition and more. Due diligence is a time for confirmation, not discovery.
Financing: Our close relationships with funding sources and expertise in packaging a deal allow for a time saving process with high odds of success. Much of this has to do with the previous five steps that screen out the losers.
The bottom line is our clients find more businesses, find them faster and get a better deal with us on their team versus going it alone. By acquiring a winner business even one month faster will often recoup our fee for service.
The last six steps tend to blend together, once we identify a viable company. For example, if financing is needed, it’s wise to seek input from banks before making an offer (to make sure the bank likes the structure and will participate).
Individual business buyers note: I am an approved provider for the Washington State SEAP program with my program, “The Street-Smart Way to Buy a Business.”